Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Barefooted on my own front porch

Umm I had one of those moments today where I realized how ridiculous I probably look and sound. It went like this: The boys had on their "mud fightin' clothes" from yesterdays mud fight and I was fluttering around the house trying to pack up for our trip to Indiana and New York. I realized that Fynneus was scratching and then picking at a spot on his neck just at the bottom of his hair line. I leaned over him to find a GIANT TICK! ughh I think I have pulled four or five off of Fynneus already this spring so I had a little Freak out and announced that it was hair cut time! We took a stool out to the front porch, grabbed a towel and I threw on some shorts that where ridiculously stripy pink and of course I had an old grey and purple tank top on. We ran an extension cord out the window and drew names to see who was first! Fynn won, then Tuck and Then Rollin. I had the bath run for them already so it moved a little bit like an assembly line. But while I was cutting Rollins hair Our friendly Fed-ex driver pulled up the drive. I didn't really think much of it and just kept on with Rollins hair cut. When the man hopped out of the truck I jokingly shouted "free haircuts" He he laughed and said "don't tempt me" I laughed and replied "well it will look like a free haircut!" He brought a package over and tried to make nice with Rollin, who was not in the mood for chatting with strangers and some how i heard myself rambling, in my bare feet, on my front porch, while buzzing my childs hair, about how bad the ticks are this year. Then I glanced over and saw all the junk piled on the front porch!  There were piles of everything from our camping tent to one of our removable van seats. Not to mention the bright orange extension chord running out of the living room window  AND the trampoline which is in our FRONT YARD!!!  And so I feel like its official. We are definitely "that" house in the neighborhood that people raise their eyebrows at.  And the whole family has homemade haircuts and my children are filthy ninety percent of the time. And the front porch could be so cute if all our junk wasn't piled there.  But I get to be the one to teach my sons how to read and write and count and add and subtract and multiply. I get to cook them healthy meals and teach them how to do it too. They get to help us start seeds for the garden and I think they have planted more things on this little piece of earth we call ours than I have this year. And when they caught a dozen baby crawfish today I was able to spend time with them researching habitat and diet.  I mean really I think I might have my priorities right............................right?

No comments:

Post a Comment